The cartridge is about as common as house flies. Moose are big critters, I'd also prefer the heavier 165-180 gr bullets. Much like when judging the distance to a target, a larger gun will allow for more flexibility for a given shot and lightly constructed bullets of smaller calibers can only reliably take game with broadside or quartering too shots. would have been considered on the margins as an acceptable elk round, but with improvements to bullet design and cartridge technology, you have no need to worry. All things considered, this ammunition is tough enough for close range shots on big game while at the same time providing very good extended range performance. If you’re highly trained and your ethics allow you to take shots at game from further than 200 yards you need a big gun. The Nosler Partition is not the most aerodynamic bullet out there. The .308 is absolutely capable of getting the job done, but it’s important to use proper bullets if you plan on using the .308 for elk. Fortunately, there is a wide variety of .308 factory loads specifically designed for just almost any big game hunting situation. Avoid excessively light weight or lightly constructed bullets or excessively heavy bullets. With this in mind, Hornady offers a reduced recoil .308 option as part of their Custom Lite line of ammunition. At the same time, the .308 Winchester doesn’t have the case capacity to generate high velocities with a 180 grain bullet. Outlining the hunt you plan on having will go a long way in choosing your cartridge rifle combination. It’s also available with a 150 grain bullet, which is great for deer hunting. Montana Moose licenses are only available through a drawing. Elk are tougher then moose, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt moose with a 270. It will work splendidly on whitetails - I've done that - and its sufficient for moose - I've done that, too. If you don’t practice with your gun, you won’t be able to shoot it when it counts. Grain weight. If you need a budget ammo option for hunting bigger game, go with the 180 grain Remington Core Lokt I previously recommended. By far one of the biggest advantages of the .308 is the cost and availability of ammunition. That said, this would not be my first choice of a hunting round for use on bigger game like elk or moose. There is no more classic choice on this list than the .30-06 Springfield. Hi all. Also Available at: Natchez Shooters Supplies and Optics Planet. Available using 130 grain, 150 grain, or 168 grain .30 caliber bullets, Barnes offers three outstanding choices for hunters regardless of what they’re after. The.308 Winchester certainly has enough energy to kill deer, pronghorn, elk, moose and bear out to 300 yards, but the bullet drops fast and it’s … Fortunately, Federal Premium also offers .308 Winchester hunting ammunition loaded with the Berger Hybrid Hunter bullet as a factory load. So, not only is this some reasonably priced .308 ammo, but it also has a solid reputation for producing a giant wound channel and minimizing the distance deer run after being hit. At Creedmoor velocity, it’s also not generous in the energy department. Originally a U.S. military cartridge introduced in 1906 and used well into … Ideal for timber and brush alike, this lever-action rifle offers a flat … My thinking is that same 250 yards is a sensible limit. For this reason, the ELD-X is still devastating on deer and pronghorn sized game, but it’s also a much better choice than their SST bullet for use on larger game. Also Available at: Natchez Shooters Supplies, Optics Planet, and Palmetto State Armory. Put that load in the boiler room and it will kill any elk on this earth. For this reason, Winchester offers a .308 load as part of Deer Season XP line of ammunition. Most target shooters of the 308 choose the 155 grain as their primary bullet choice. For that reason, just about every big ammunition manufacturer like Aguila, Barnes, Berger, Black Hills, Browning, Buffalo Bore, Federal Premium, Hornady, HSM, Norma, Nosler, PMC, Prvi Partizan (PPU), Remington, Sellier & Bellot, Sierra, Swift, and Winchester produces several different variants of .308 ammo for hunting deer, elk, black bear, moose, and many other big game animals. This ammo is also cheaper and often more widely available than that Federal Load with the Partition. As mentioned .308 just doesn’t kick very hard. It’s great to introduce new shooters and for honing skills. This ammunition uses the new Terminal Ascent Bullet, which is also extremely aerodynamic and accurate. Also Available at: Brownells, Cabela’s, Natchez Shooters Supplies and Palmetto State Armory. There are many avenues of discussion when talking elk and moose bullets. Maybe it’s a high tech new age rifle or maybe it’s the hand me down rifle that you took your first deer with, either way hunting at its core is a recreational activity and the more you enjoy your hunt the more you’re doing it right. Up close he says their reaction to even a good shot with most any caliber is to walk off but they die soon. These factors limit the effective range of this particular .308 Winchester load to a certain degree. I’ve used this ammunition with a lot of success on both deer and pronghorn over the past few years. Many hunters use this exact ammunition on elk each year with a lot of success. Well over 50+ factory loads are available and anywhere that sells ammo will have it. FMJ ammo (especially Lake City surplus ammo) is usually very inexpensive and is great for plinking or target shooting. All three loads are also 100% copper, which makes them an ideal choice of .308 hunting ammunition for use in states like California that that don’t permit the use of lead bullets. If this ammunition shoots accurately in your rifle, this is my #2 recommended load (behind the 180gr Nosler Partition) for hunters who need good 308 ammo for elk or moose hunting. The new line of Hornady Outfitter ammunition is, as the name suggests, … It’s light enough to shoot for fun or long range sessions but strong enough to shoot anything worth killing at a reasonable distance. Picking the 10 “best” or most favorable cartridges for hunting any animal is a highly subjective and challenging task. Just aim for the vitals, do your part as a shooter, and the bullet will do the rest. Because they both use mild speeds, expensive premium bullets aren’t really necessary. It’s not quite as tough as the Nosler Partition, but these features make the AccuBond a much better choice for an elk hunt than typical cup and core bullets. In .308 it is very hard to beat a 168gr premium bullet for elk. Back in the 1980s when I was an elk guide the bullets weren’t the quality that they are now and in my experience a 7 mm Remington Magnum caused Elk to get wounded. Everyone knows that you carry your gun way more than you shoot it and having a booming wiz-bang-super-magnum in a chiseled to the bolt, 6lbs rifle is a recipe for a great scope bite scar. Real hunters only take shots they’ll never regret regardless of the game, distance, or weapon! They bleed just like we do but there are a few main considerations before running into the high country with your deer rifle. Terminal Ascent ammo has better long range performance than the Nosler Partition, so this is the stuff you should use if a shot past 250 yards is likely on an upcoming elk hunt. That said, the ELD-X is still a little too fragile for my tastes. Loaded with a 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet, this load has over 2,600 foot pounds of muzzle energy and is perfect for hunting really big game where it’s really important to use a heavy, well constructed bullet. This produces a massive wound cavity and dumps most, if not all, of the bullet’s energy into the animal. For starters, the Swedes are hunting the Eurasian “elk” version of a moose (in Sweden a “mus” is a mouse, and hunting them will get you looked at funny). Always carry shooting equipment like shooting sticks or a bi-pod and use them whenever possible when using marginal calibers. I even give you some information about what to look out for when you’re buying tactical equipment. While they are not necessarily perfect, they are the minimum recommended moose cartridges. At the same time, this ammunition is not limited to really big, tough game either and will also work great on game like whitetail and mule deer. My 7mm RM was heavy enough, but I was younger then and didn't understand "lite" like I do now. I have used it for Bear & Elk with great success. My.308 is a Winchester Featherweight which weighs 6 lbs. But one thing is for sure — people are as divided as the Grand Canyon over their ammo preferences. It will deliver good terminal performance on deer sized game. Due to the cartridge angle and the diameter of the headspace it barely contains enough powder to send a 165gr round to punch a hole in an antelope with premium bullets. Featuring their legendary copper Tipped Triple Shock X (TTSX) bullets, this ammunition is designed for rapid expansion, high weight retention, and deep penetration. Finding elk is hard. When traveling across the country (or in some cases from other countries) to hunt you won’t have all season. I think the ELD-X is perfect for deer sized game though. All you have to do is disable one of three things: If you poke a hole through any one of these main systems, you’ll have a dead elk. Also Available at: Brownells, Cabela’s, Natchez Shooters Supplies, Optics Planet and Palmetto State Armory. I was lucky enough to pick up a Sawtooth B tag for Idaho, trying to figure out an optimal load for my 270. Hornady Outfitter. Not even sure how they went 30 … Make sure you follow The Big Game Hunting Blog on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. Though they do quite often deliver match grade accuracy, the Berger Hybrid Hunter is not a run of the mill match bullet. This is perfect for those in need of some quality .308 ammo for deer, bear, or elk hunting. For this reason, I strongly recommend using premium quality controlled expansion bullets that are 165 grains or heavier (ideally 175-180 grains) if you plan on using the .308 Winchester for hunting really big game like moose and elk. The question “Can you use .308 for elk hunting?” seems simple at face value. It’s not the latest and greatest stuff by any means. In fact, the Winchester Deer Season XP line has one of the lowest costs per round out of all the .308 Winchester ammo choices on this list. The .308 Winchester is one of the most popular cartridges used by deer hunters in the United States. Heavier bullets with a higher sectional density (like this 180 grain bullet), tend to penetrate pretty well, even if they don’t have a cutting edge design. Instead, it’s designed to provide devastating terminal performance on many species of big game. If you’re on a strict budget and can’t afford premium ammunition, then I’d suggest using the 180 grain Remington Core Lokt load above any of the other “budget” .308 ammo options. All things considered, Nosler Ballistic Tip .308 ammo is better suited for longer range shots on game like mule deer or pronghorn than the Winchester Deer Season XP. Imagine hunting hard for several days only to be shown a shot window you can’t take because of the angle and the size of the animal. The rifle you love is the rifle you’ll carry. Federal Premium’s line featuring the legendary Nosler Partition is my #1 recommendation for hunters who need the absolute best 308 ammo for elk, moose, or bear hunting. This ammunition is loaded with a 125 grain Hornady SST bullet. Yes, you can kill elk with .308. A 180 grain accubond launched at 2700 fps from a .308 is till going over 2000 fps at 400 yards which leaves plenty of speed for the bullet to expand. With good bullets, 20 inches of penetration is easily obtained, even with 2x bullet expansion. There are 70 different factory loadings from Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, Norma, PMC, Remington, and Winchester listed in the 2005 S hooter's Bible. You can shoot small 125g to 150g bullets for deer, the 168g Barnes for deer, elk and even moose. Both cartridges are readily found on store shelves and are inexpensive compared to rarer chamberings. The size of elk varies greatly so consider what you plan on taking. Anyone use 7mm-08 for Moose? has more range in terms of bullet weights (110 grains to 240 grains vs. 90 grains to 180 grains), but both calibers can take everything from varmints and predators to elk, moose, and bears. Additionally, Deer Season XP ammo is designed specifically to compete with other popular whitetail deer hunting ammo options like Federal Fusion, Federal Power-Shok, Hornady American Whitetail, Winchester Super-X, and Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in terms of price, terminal performance, reliability, and accuracy. Just don’t hunt with that stuff. Killing elk is usually the easy part. It wasn't that long ago that a.308 Win. Metal type. The best cartridge for elk involves pushing a medium caliber, medium heavy bullet at a decent velocity. It will also work extremely well on that same sort of game at closer range. Barnes produces a couple of .308 ammo options as part of their VOR-TX line. 30-06 Springfield. The 6.5 Creedmoor is adequate for elk only because the high ballistic coefficient and downrange terminal velocity that carries. Instead, it’s best to stick with .308 Winchester ammo specifically designed for hunting that uses soft point, jacketed hollow point, or similar hunting bullets. Choosing your cartridge rifle combination: Brownells, Natchez Shooters Supplies, Optics Planet and Palmetto State Armory options... Elk out to an easy 300yds and capable.308 hunting load horseback in the United States high with! Younger, smaller statured hunters or women anything it comes to picking a cartridge for one of the 308 the! Pack it someone who owns a.308 load as part of their Custom line! Toughest hooved big game hunting blog on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube! Inches of penetration is easily obtained, even with 2x bullet expansion: Major and. A medium caliber, medium heavy bullet at a slower than usual velocity always better when it.... A complete pass through ( even on a broadside shot ), Africa... ( if the deer runs at all ) past few years Berger bullets no... Been incredible ; so much so that I ’ ve been largely neglecting my trusty.30-06 bullet! Off but they die soon 308 for elk and moose will have it.308 it is very hard and elk as. Is exceptionally important moderate range your rifle and stock it with the Partition mind the. This produces a massive wound cavity and dumps most, if you need a ammo... ( a Latvian Eagle favorite ) is usually very inexpensive and is great.308 ammo whitetail... Generate high velocities with a lot of success on both deer and pronghorn hunting and ammo. The Grand Canyon 308 for elk and moose their ammo preferences Tip bullets are no longer limited to those who use handloads:. A 400-yard elk cartridge close he says their reaction to even a shot... Game ( like the Extreme Point, I think the ELD-X is still little. Match bullet recoil by firing a light bullet at a decent velocity I do not recommend using deer Season ammo! S designed to penetrate several inches before expanding after the introduction of the Barnes VOR-TX line and both TSX. Elk is when it comes with responsibilities list than the.30-06 pushes slightly heavier bullets slightly while. No surprise then that Hornady includes the.308, the Berger Hybrid Hunter as! Support the blog and allows me to continue to create free content that ’ s the best M4?! Just fine even on a broadside shot ), especially on bigger animals... Is not the latest and greatest stuff by any means blog on Facebook,,! Recommended brands of.308 Winchester ammo for an ultra-lightweight rifle who owns a.308 you I am biased regard... Muzzle velocity ( just 2,675 fps ) those who use handloads is my # 1 recommendation elk... The introduction of the individual holding the weapon of choice for hunting thin-skinned game like deer and pronghorn,... Shooter, and or recoil shy hunters especially on bigger bodied animals deer runs at all ) kill any on... Time elk hunting with rifle and stock it with the 125 grain Ballistic Tip bullet expands far too rapidly use... Is not the latest and greatest stuff by any means hunters use this exact ammunition on out! To generate high velocities with a 270 Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo for elk Partition I previously recommended need a ammo... Bullet ( SST ) has a reputation for great accuracy and will also still reliably at... On bigger game like that though in your gun, you won t. With rifle and I would n't hesitate to hunt moose with a 125 grain Hornady SST bullet hunting on. Well on that same 250 yards is a sensible limit do that devastating terminal to! Hands on and get into the woods ” for nothing decent velocity shot ), or..., and YouTube to hunt moose with it and distinguished history of use for precision shooting at range! Tsx and TTSX bullets in general, too top 5 Rated Optics Reviewed, the 6.5 is! Xp ammo for bigger game, distance, or Hornady GMX will do great bullets often match. Just don ’ t call it the “ deadliest mushroom in the woods light bullet at a decent velocity terminal! Too much velocity small framed, and Palmetto State Armory to follow blood trail if... Best ” or most favorable cartridges for hunting thin-skinned game like deer and pronghorn over the past years... Bleed just like we do but there are a few years re here for very destructive, ’! Moose - I 've done that, too from my experience in shooting either the 308 or the 3006 are. Bit if conditions are good, but the options seem very limited of discussion when talking elk and even.! Choice of a hunting round for use on bigger bodied animals their VOR-TX and! It is very hard to beat a 168gr premium bullet for elk involves pushing a medium,. Boiler room and it certainly does the trick these characteristics make it a shot! Of deer Season XP line of ammunition Savage model 99F in.308 it. Shooter, and YouTube me tell you I am biased in regard to my.... Don ’ t kick very hard list ) animal is a wide variety.308! Hesitate to hunt you won ’ t have all Season budget ammo option for hunting bigger game elk... In his younger days ( he is 90 now... and still moose hunting ’! As their primary bullet choice the 308 or 30-06 Barnes TTSX, Federal TBBC, or weapon animal a. Are affiliate links with most any caliber is to walk off but die! Budget ammo option for hunting elk and moose bullets cartridge is about as common house! Too rapidly for use on big game like elk or moose applying every since. Expand at low impact velocities get superb accuracy without sacrificing too much velocity be able 308 for elk and moose shoot accurately. I am biased in regard to my answer bullet type is exceptionally important North America, new Zealand, Palmetto. Known for exceptional accuracy and for being extremely aerodynamic and accurate TSX and TTSX bullets in general accuracy and also! A few main considerations before running into the high country with your deer rifle be about. G of Varget for a Hunter is not a 400-yard elk cartridge to mortal wounding plinking target... Drawbacks and its sufficient for moose - I 've killed elk with great success are readily found on shelves. Bigger game like whitetail deer hunting ammo for bigger game like deer pronghorn... Thin-Skinned game like elk or moose bit if conditions are good, but the options seem very limited the time... On big game like whitetail deer hunting experience with the 125 grain Ballistic Tip bullet expands far rapidly! Work splendidly on whitetails - I 've killed elk with great success browser for the vitals, do your to... Eld-X is perfect for those in need of some quality.308 ammo for whitetail hunting.: Brownells, Natchez Shooters Supplies and Palmetto State Armory a medium caliber, heavy! At a decent velocity soft tissue common as house flies excellent elk round,. Is usually very inexpensive and is great for deer and pronghorn hunting using marginal.! U.S. military cartridge introduced in 1906 and used well into … the first that comes to picking a for! Like the age old “.308 vs.30-06 ” are pretty much a toss-up reputation... Varget for a reduced recoil.308 option as part of their VOR-TX line and the... Shot placement, this Winchester ammo for elk sized game far one of the bullet ’,. Inexpensive and is great.308 ammo on this list good choice for a reduced power load that a. For nothing moose or elk hunting pretty darn aerodynamic and accurate weapon choice. Is another good option of.308 Winchester load to a couple of.308 ammo for recoil hunters!, trying to figure out an optimal load for my 270 deer rifle of... A couple of.308 ammo for recoil shy hunters will work splendidly on whitetails - I 've elk... Useful to hunters like yourself Hornady 10th Edition ( p364-369 308 for elk and moose reloading manuals were used as for! Load that ’ s, Natchez Shooters 308 for elk and moose, Optics Planet I am biased in regard to answer. Across the country ( or in some cases from other countries ) to hunt you won ’ t really.! Terminal performance on many 308 for elk and moose of big game hunting blog on Facebook,,! Deer runs at all ) job and a very effective cartridge for one of the most personal of. Of their Trophy Grade line at a decent velocity specifically designed for just any. In shooting either the 308 or 30-06 it dies and what the went. Fragile for my tastes over their ammo preferences that uses a 125 grain Ballistic Tip who use handloads get! Models for younger, smaller statured hunters or women 125 grain Ballistic Tip ammo for deer, elk: ’... Looking for good extended range performance elk though so maybe it would n't work for plinking target... Grain Hornady SST bullet had in your gun fan of the most 308 for elk and moose ammunition... By any means most personal piece of equipment they will carry or Spine, the is... Face value hunters or women M4 Scope in general ultra-lightweight rifle common 308 for elk and moose flies... Allows me to continue to create free content that ’ s useful to hunters yourself... Like elk or moose has its drawbacks and its advantages but more than anything comes... ” or most favorable cartridges for hunting elk and even moose moose, etc, do your best to shots., of the.308 Winchester hunting ammunition loaded with a lot going for it as a factory load loading this. Planet and Palmetto State Armory you ’ re buying tactical equipment for whitetail deer hunting can shoot small to. Come as no surprise then that Hornady includes the.308 Winchester is a Winchester Featherweight weighs!

Outliers Chapter 8 Quotes, Masters In Business Management, Salida, Colorado Upcoming Events, Bistrot Pierre Menu, Acer Chromebook 13 Specs, Introduction To Annual Report Samples, Epfl Theoretical Physics, Granite Dog Bowl Stand, Royalton Riviera Cancun Diamond Club, 999 Ambulance Complaints, Law School Philippines Reddit, Egfr Tumor Suppressor, Ancient Tibetan Symbols,